Suspect held in Zagreb bomb attacks

15/01/2013

An NGO calls the police investigation quick and comprehensive.

By Drazen Remikovic for Southeast European Times in Zagreb -- 15/01/13

photo

The work of Croatian police in investigating two bombings last week in Zagreb is being called “comprehensive.” [AFP]

Police in Croatia are ruling out terrorism in two bombings that shook Zagreb last week and are holding a suspect who was injured in one of the attacks. Authorities would not release the suspect's name, but media reports in Croatia identify him as Vojislav Blazevic, 54, of Zagreb.

"We can say that we have a suspect and that he is now in hospital after he was injured in the blast," Vitomir Bijelic, chief of the Department of Criminal Police of Croatia, told SETimes. "During an investigation, police conducted more than 250 informative interviews. Due to explosions and security situation, police will increase the number of police patrols in Zagreb in the coming days."

Authorities did not release a motive in the case, but are classifying it as "a criminal offence against public security" and not terrorism.

The first bomb struck a train on Wednesday (January 9th) on a busy railway track in a suburb west of Zagreb, but there were no casualties. The second incident on January 11th was in the western part of the city, injuring Blazevic.

Related Articles

Loading

Igor Tabak, a national security analyst and former expert member of parliament's Defence Committee and president of the defence and security NGO Udruga OBRIS-Obrana i sigurnost, said that the police work was quick and comprehensive.

"After the second explosion it could be noted that the citizens are upset. The investigation went well, but the people were not well informed by the police about the whole situation, and that is what has brought panic. However, we cannot talk about the terrorist attack due to the low power of explosive devices and the lack of a political base," he said.

Some citizens are still upset.

"The police responded quickly, but the big question is whether they managed to find him if he wasn’t hurt himself. He could do it at noon and not at midnight, and then the consequences would be disastrous. Luckily no one was on the streets when he did that. Me and my family will not go out late at night for some time now," Milijan Vrazalic, 41, of Zagreb told SETimes.

This content was commissioned for SETimes.com.
Loading
Vote
 
 
  • Email to a friend
  • icon Print Version
  • Share/Save/Bookmark

We welcome your comments on SETimes's articles.

It is our hope that you will use this forum to interact with other readers across Southeast Europe. In order to keep this experience interesting, we ask you to follow the rules outlined in the comments policy. By submitting comments, you are consenting to these rules. While SETimes.com encourages discussion on all subjects, including sensitive ones, the comments posted are solely the views of those submitting them. SETimes.com does not necessarily endorse or agree with the ideas, views, or opinions voiced in these comments. SETimes.com welcomes constructive discussion but discourages the use of copy-pasted materials, unaccompanied links and one-line slogans. This is a moderated forum. Comments deemed abusive, offensive, or those containing profanity may not be published.

SETimes's Comments Policy

Focus on Ukraine

Reportage

Region, Turkey optimistic about new EU leadersRegion, Turkey optimistic about new EU leaders

Regional officials say the recent personnel changes in the EU will have a positive impact on their countries' relationship with Brussels.

SETimes logo

Most Popular

Loading
Loading
Loading

Poll

Should Greece change how it handles illegal immigrants?

Yes
No
I don't know